India, with the world’s second-largest population, stands as a lucrative market for cosmetic products. In India, the Central Drug Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) regulates beauty and personal care products under the overarching regulations governed by the Indian Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 & Rules 1945 vide Gazette Notification G.S.R 763(E). The CDSCO controls the cosmetic registration in India. The manufacturers, their authorized agents and subsidiaries in India, and any other importers can apply for the issuance of a registration certificate for importing cosmetics in India. However, they will have to upload the necessary documents through SUGAM - the official online portal.
The application for cosmetic product registration in India is carried out by submitting Form COS-1 along with other documents required to obtain the registration certificate, i.e., Form COS-2. With new technologies and innovations coming into the picture, novel cosmetics and cosmetic product safety assessments are also trending in the cosmetics industry. Considering this, the CDSCO has introduced the registration of novel cosmetics, where the application is submitted through Form COS-12 and approval is received on Form COS-3.
While the Regulatory process is moderate in approach, the key challenge lies in making appropriate product and placement decisions in suburban and rural areas of the sub-continental country. The lack of evolved supply and distribution channels acts as another critical setback in navigating through the region. With the global operation center in India, Freyr provides Regulatory Intelligence services to decode the CDSCO cosmetics regulations and identify the proper channels and products to retain optimum market potential.
- Cosmetics Classification
- Cosmetic Formulation/Cosmetics Ingredient Review
- Cosmetic Claims Review
- Label Review as per the Cosmetic Labeling Regulations, Cosmetics Rules 2020, and Legal Metrology Rules
- Cosmetic Labeling Requirements India
- Dossier Compilation
- Cosmetics Registration in India through Form COS-1
- Obtaining a Cosmetics Registration Certificate through Form COS-2
- Filing Novel Cosmetic Application through Form COS-12 and getting the approval on Form COS-3
- Post-approval Support like Re-registration, Notification, and Endorsement
- Regulatory Intelligence Services
- Authorized Agent Services
- SUGAM Portal Membership
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation, including authorized agent services
- Aid in procuring SUGAM portal membership
- Team of experts with hands-on experience across skincare, haircare, infant care, oral care, beauty products, etc.
- Compliant cosmetic registration in India
- Support for region-specific Regulatory complexities
- Global operational center in India
- Cost-effective service with quick turnarounds and faster time-to-market