India, with the world’s second-largest population, stands as a lucrative market for cosmetic products. In India, the Central Drug Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) regulates beauty and personal care products under the overarching regulations governed by the Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 & Rules 1945 vide Gazette Notification G.S.R 763(E). The manufacturers, their authorized agents and subsidiaries in India, and any other importers can apply for the issuance of a registration certificate for importing cosmetics in India; however, they will have to upload necessary documents through the official online portal, known as SUGAM.
In India, the application for cosmetic product registration is carried out by submitting Form COS-1, along with other documents required to obtain the registration certificate, i.e., Form COS-2. Now, with the new technologies and innovations coming into picture, novel cosmetics and cosmetic product safety assessments are also trending in the cosmetics industry. Considering this, the CDSCO has introduced registration of novel cosmetics, where the application is submitted through Form COS -12 and approval is received on Form COS- 3.
While the Regulatory process is moderate in approach, the key challenge lies in making appropriate product and placement decisions in sub-urban and rural areas of the sub-continental country. Lack of evolved supply and distribution channels acts as another key setback in navigating through the region. With the global operation center in India, Freyr provides Regulatory Intelligence services to decode the CDSCO cosmetics regulations and identify the right channels and products to retain optimum market potential.
- Cosmetics Classification
- Cosmetic Formulation/Cosmetics Ingredient Review
- Cosmetic Claims Review
- Label Review as per the Cosmetic Labeling Regulations, Cosmetics Rules 2020 and Legal Metrology Rules
- Dossier Compilation
- Cosmetics Registration in India through Form COS-1
- Obtaining Cosmetics Registration Certificate through Form COS- 2
- Filing Novel Cosmetic Application through Form COS 12 and Approval on Form COS-3
- Post-approval Support like Re-registration, Notification, Endorsement
- Regulatory Intelligence Services
- Authorized Agent Services
- SUGAM Portal Membership
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation, including authorized agent services
- Aid in procuring SUGAM portal membership
- Qualified team of experts with hands-on experience across all cosmetic categories such as skin care, hair care, infant care, oral care, beauty products, etc.
- Support for region-specific Regulatory complexities
- Global operational center in India
- Cost-effective service with quick turnarounds and faster time-to-market entry